American Recovery Plan Act (ARPA) Investments
Signed into law on March 11, 2021, The American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 (“ARPA”) provides $350 billion in additional funding for state and local governments. The law is intended to help states and municipalities recover from the COVID-19 pandemic.
Needham is expected to receive a total of $9,199,175 from the state and Norfolk County. More information about how Needham is investing those funds is below.
Eligible uses of these funds include:
- Revenue replacement for the provision of government services to the extent of the reduction in revenue due to the COVID-19 public health emergency, relative to the revenues collected in the most recent fiscal year prior to the emergency;
- COVID-19 expenditures or negative economic impacts of COVID-19. including assistance to small businesses, households, and hard-hit industries, and economic recovery;
- Premium pay for essential workers;
- Investments in sewer, water, and broadband infrastructure.
Restrictions on the uses of these funds include:
- Funds allocated to states cannot be used to directly or indirectly offset tax reductions or delay a tax or tax increase;
- Funds cannot be deposited into any pension fund
- Funding must be obligated by the end of calendar year 2024 and spent by the end of calendar year 2026.
Information below updated as of 3/22/22
|Category of Spending||Description||Total|
|COVID-19 Direct Impact||Contact Tracers (one year)||$60,000|
|Epidemiologist (two years)||$140,000|
|Public Health Nurse (two years)||$160,000|
|Mental & Behavioral Health Staffing (two years)||$190,000|
|Mental & Behavioral Health Services (two years)||$190,000|
|Technology Improvements||Support for Hybrid Meetings, Communications & Remote Work||$175,000|
|Staffing Support for Technology Improvements||$100,000|
|Economic Development||Small Business Grant Program||$460,000|
|Other Business Support||$20,000|
|Water/Sewer/Drains Infrastructure||Temp Project Manager (four years)||$500,000|
|Town Reservoir Clean-up Construction||$2,070,000|
|Walker Pond Category 2 Construction||$356,000|
|Allowance for Water/Sewer/Drains||$4,428,175|