The Department of Public Works will be open to the public June 1, 2020 by appointment only. Individuals needing to make appointments for in-person service must call the Department of Public Works to schedule an appointment. Because we continue to operate with some employees working from home as the state has required, if you are unable to reach us, please leave a voicemail and we will call you back as soon as possible. Our number is 781-455-7550.
Most payments can also be made via mail or in the dropbox outside of Town Hall on Garrity Way (the side of Town Hall close to Walgreens). Payments may be mailed to: 500 Dedham Ave, Needham MA 02492
Please note resident may experience a delay in response time to non-emergency requests, we appreciate your patience during this time.
Individuals needing assistance or services may call Needham DPW at 781-455-7550 x0, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org . Staff will respond to emails and voicemails as soon as possible during normal business hours.
The Recycling and Transfer Station is now operating under summer hours until 9/11/2020:
Tuesday- Thursday& Saturday: 7:30 to AM - 4:00 PM
Friday: 7:30 to AM 12 NOON.
Public Services COVID-19 Update: 7.17.2020
*Please continue to check back for daily updates*
- Permits: Applications are now online at https://needhamma.viewpointcloud.com/
- Access to the Public: buildings are now open on an appointment only basis.. Please call the DPW Admin office at (781)455-7550 x0 and leave a message or email email@example.com.. Staff will return your email or phone call.
- Payments: Pay online or mail.
- Report a Concern: See/Click/Fix is continued to be monitored.
- Claims: Continue to file claims online.
- Water/Sewer Billing & Processing:Please contact the Water Billing Clerk at 781-455-7550 x306 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Services: Engineering services to the public are now being conducted online. Please email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org for any additional questions.
- Street Permits: Applications can be found online for the 2020 Construction Season. Processing and approval will be delayed until further notice.
- Services: Services for Town vehicles continue with full staff levels while practicing social distancing.
- Beginning June until August the Highway division will begin sidewalk repairs as well as roadway patching, crack sealing & roadway surface treatment.
- Maintenance of Public Ways: Maintaining services with decreased staffing levels and slower response.
- Traffic Signals & Signage Maintenance & Repairs: Maintaining full service.
- Parking Meter Maintenance: Maintaining full service.
Parks & Forestry:
- Tree Planting Program: On hold until further notice.
- General Maintenance of Parks and Athletic Fields: On hold until further notice.
- Emergency tree removal: Maintaining services with decreased staffing levels.
- Many services have been impacted as the Town follows social distancing guidelines and reduces staff at Town facilities to essential workers only. To continue to provide critical services under these conditions and protect the health and safety of our workers and patrons, the Needham Recycling and Transfer Station is implementing a series of changes.
- The number of vehicles that may enter the RTS at any one time will be limited. Every other parking space is blocked off to provide proper distancing for residents using the drop off areas.
- There will be two lanes of traffic to enter the RTS – one lane to the left will be for vehicles going straight to yard waste. The right lane will be for residents disposing of trash and recyclables.
- Household trash must be disposed of in a yellow "pay-as-you-throw" bag.
- Residents are encouraged to visit the RTS during non-peak hours. Saturdays continue to be very busy, making social distancing a challenge. If you can deliver your waste on other days, that would be appreciated.
- RTS is again accepting drop-off of tires, refrigerators/air conditioners, and TVs and computers. Fees charged as applicable; see office trailer attendant.
- In addition, the Swap Shop, donation bins, Goodwill Trailer remain CLOSED
- Commercial stickers scheduled to expire March 31st for commercial haulers will be automatically extended to June 30, 2020. New commercial stickers required July 1st, 2020.
- Please adhere to social distancing guidelines, including staying 6 feet away from fellow RTS patrons and staff. To minimize interaction, consider dropping items off during off-peak times instead of Saturdays.
- Yard Waste: Loam & compost can be purchased by residents. Please remember to wear a face mask and maintain social distancing when obtaining loam and compost.
Water & Sewer:
- Meter Replacement Program: Suspended until further notice.
- Final Water Meter Reading for Real Estate Transactions: Please request by either calling (781)455-7550 x0 or emailing email@example.com. Final water meter readings will be on a case by case basis.
- New Construction Meter Installation: Resumed.
- Second Meter Requests: Suspended until further notice.
- Backflow Testing & Cross-Connection Surveying: Full service resumed.
- Water & Sewer Billing: Under evaluation for continued service.
- Water Treatment: Maintaining full service.
- Water Distribution: Maintaining full service.
- Wastewater Maintenance: Maintaining services with decreased staffing levels and slower response.
- Wastewater Pumping: Maintaining full service.
- Stormwater Maintenance: Maintaining services with decreased staffing levels and slower response.
- Water Meter Leaks: Maintaining services with additional precautions. Staff entering premises required to wear face masks and gloves. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information if concerned.
- Building Rentals: No rental of Town and School buildings until further notice.
- Buildings: Disinfecting and sanitizing all Town and School buildings.