The West Suburban Veterans District (WSVD) Veterans’ Service Agent works independently and in accordance with Massachusetts General Laws (MGL) Chapters 115 and 471, Acts of 1972 and 108 CMR. He/She performs only those duties assigned and/or authorized by the Commissioner of Veterans Services.
The Veterans’ Service Agent essential function is to manage and participate in the administration of various benefits available to eligible veterans and their dependents from the Massachusetts Department of Veteran Services and the U.S. Veterans Administration. The Veterans’ Service Agent provides assistance to veterans in assessing benefits, identifying federal, state, and local programs, providing referrals for employment and training, housing, and medical care.
The Department of Veterans Services performs those functions assigned to it by Chapter 115 of the General Laws of Commonwealth.
- To provide a program of benefits to eligible veterans and their families who are in need. The veteran must have served 90 days and one day during a war-time period.
- To be responsible for Veteran graves, including care and upkeep.
- To keep a depository of discharges and service records for sources of records when need arises.
- To be a point of contact with matters to be brought before the Department of Veterans Affairs of the federal government including claims for pensions, compensation for service-connected disabilities, education benefits, burial benefits as well as headstones and markers.
- To place an American Flag for Memorial Day on the graves of veterans who are interred in the Needham and St. Mary’s cemeteries.
- To assist widows in procuring veterans insurance benefits.
West Suburban District Meeting Agendas and Minutes
Meeting Agendas are available prior to the meeting.
Meeting Minutes are available following approval at the subsequent meeting.