Information to apply for a Passport

Needham Town Manager’s Office is an authorized Passportpassport1
Acceptance Facility 
and accepts U.S. Passport applications.
We are located on 1st floor in Town Hall at 1471 Highland Avenue.

The Town Manager's office is processing passport applications by appointment only.  To schedule an appointment, please call 781-455-7500 ext 500.  The hours available to process applications are Monday thru Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. (last appointment is 3:30 p.m.).

From the website
Know Before You Apply For A U.S. Passport

If you are thinking about applying for or renewing a U.S. passport now for international travel, please read the Department of State’s current international travel advisory. Because of public health measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19, they have extremely limited U.S. passport operations.

Minimum requirements for applying for a U.S. Passport are
DS-11 form filled out in black ink, 
DO NOT SIGN YOUR APPLICATION. An acceptance agent must witness your signature.
Social Security number is required on the form.
Proof of Citizenship - Previous U.S. Passport, Original or certified copy of the long form Birth Certificate**
Proof of Identification - In State Driver’s License, U.S. Passport, or valid government photo ID.
Passport photo(s), please do not attach.
Special circumstances may require additional paperwork.
Expired passport book and/or card
Check to "U. S. Department of State" for each application.  
You can pay with a personal, certified, cashier's, traveler's check, or money order payable to U.S. Department of State.
Check to the "Town of Needham" for execution fee.

Please print one-sided forms. The Department of State does not accept double-sided applications. (do not sign in advance)

To obtain or renew a passport for a child under the age of 16, both parents must be present (with their photo IDs) along with the child. If 1 parent can not attend, a notarized Statement of Consent Form DS-3053 must be filled out for each child with a copy of the non-applying parent photo identification, (front and back, on the same sheet). 
**The original copy of the child’s long form Birth Certificate is required even if a Passport was previously issued.

To obtain or renew a passport for 16 or 17 year old, the applicant will need the minimum requirements listed above plus one parent must be present (with their photo identification).

PLEASE NOTE: If you hold an existing adult passport that was issued in your current name within the past 15 years and after your 16th birthday you must renew by mail using Renewal Form DS-82.

Special situation: Passport Lost or Stolen
To replace a lost or stolen passport, you must apply in person and submit Form DS-11 in addition to Form DS-64. 

Routine serviceapp. 7 to 10 weeks, excluding holidays and weekends (as of November 30, 2023)
Expedite serviceapp. 3 to 5 weeks, excluding holidays and weekends (as of November 30, 2023)

To check the status of your application online, please wait 4 weeks from the date you applied.  Prior to the 4 weeks, you may receive a response of "Not Found".

To:  U.S. Department of State - check or money order
Adults (16 and older)$130$3010 years
Children  (15 and under)$100$155 years
Expedite Feeadditional $60 per application
1-2 Day Book Delivery Fee$19.53N/A
To:  Town of Needham - check or cash
Execution Fee$35 per application
The execution fee is mandated by the Department of State and is the same at every Acceptance Facility.

The requirements, fees and processing times are subject to change. Please inform us if you are traveling in less than 12 weeks as expediting may be a better option.

Applicants are encouraged to visit the U.S. State Department website Passport Information Pages for the most up-to-date information. Plan ahead when traveling abroad: allow a few months for processing your passport.

Passport Agencies or Centers:

Effective October 14, 2020, Passport Services is now offering a limited number of appointments at their public passport agencies and centers for customers with urgent travel.  This is in addition to customers who need to travel internationally within 72 hours due to a qualified life-or-death emergency.

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (e.g., parent, child, spouse, sibling, aunt, uncle, etc.) that require you to travel outside the United States within 72 hours (3 days). You must provide:

  • A passport application with supporting documents
  • Proof of the life-or-death emergency such as a death certificate, a statement from a mortuary, or a signed letter from a hospital or medical professional. Documents must be in English or translated in English.
  • Proof of international travel (e.g. reservation, ticket, itinerary) specific to the emergency

To make an appointment at a passport agency or center, you must call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 (1-888-874-7793 TDD/TTY) on Monday- Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Eastern Time, except federal holidays.

The nearest Passport Agency is:

Tip O’Neill Federal Building
10 Causeway Street, Room 247
Boston, Massachusetts 02222

Still have questions? Please call 1-781-455-7500, ext. 500