Human Rights Committee
Please join us for an upcoming, online community conversation hosted by local partners -
Unpacking Structural Racism: Exploring and Deconstructing White Privilege and Power
June 24, 2020 at 6:00pm.
Find more information and register here:
The Needham Human Rights Committee
- 7:30 p.m.
- Third Thursday of each month
- Highland Room- Needham Town Hall
1471 Highland Avenue
Needham, MA 02492
All residents of the Town of Needham are welcome to participate in the committee’s activities and meetings.
Jennifer Howard Schroeder, Chair
The Town of Needham’s Human Rights Committee strives to reaffirm the worth and dignity of every human being. The diversity of our community is embraced and celebrated through the following activities:
- Education: Advocate appreciation for and respect for diversity.
- Community Outreach: Organize community events to constructively promote diversity and tolerance.
Community Response: We respond to issues that challenge the human rights of any individual or group in our community.
STATEMENTS AND MESSAGES FROM THE HRC
* Message from the Human Rights Committee: Post NZ Mosque Shootings
* Human Rights Day - Vote of the Board of Selectmen 12/20/2016
* Statement of the Needham Human Rights Committee in support of preserving important human rights of our transgender and non-gender conforming friends, family and neighbors
The Needham Human Rights Committee stands proudly beside all in Massachusetts fighting to preserve the basic human rights of all transgender and gender non-conforming people. While we strive to create a more perfect union, where all individuals are able to in fact live free from prejudice, ignorance, and hate, the Needham Human Rights Committee recognizes that an important step toward this aspiration is upholding existing, essential, legal protections guarding the rights of transgender and gender non-conforming individuals in Massachusetts to be, undisturbed, in any public place they chose. Affirming the right to privacy and live free of discrimination, honors the human dignity inherent in all. Rescinding these fundamental rights, serves to divest our neighbors of their essential humanity and exacerbates the danger many live with every day. The Needham Human Rights Committee urges our community to join the effort to uphold the current Public Accommodations Law in Massachusetts, guaranteeing continued equal protection under the law for all transgender and gender non-conforming individuals in the Commonwealth.