Who We Are
Overview of our Services
The Needham Council on Aging, a town department, is located at the Stephen Palmer Senior Center. In cooperation with other organizations and agencies we are dedicated to serving all residents with aging service issues. Programs and services go beyond the walls of the Senior Center and are provided throughout the community to include health benefits counseling and social services to seniors wherever they reside.
The Needham Council on Aging’s mission is to respond to its older residents’ needs by providing a welcoming, inclusive, and secure environment where individuals and families benefit from programs, services and resources that enhance their quality of life, provide opportunities for growth, and knowledge.
At the Stephen Palmer Senior Center we’re not just about playing cards and doing crafts. There are many activities. To highlight a few: we offer monthly live entertainment, exercise classes, Life Long Learning classes, Health and Wellness programs, Lectures and a daily lunch site, and movies on our big screen.
Council on Aging’s Statement of Goals
Based on its Mission, the Needham Council on Aging has established these goals:
- To serve as a model for community affirmation of the dignity, wisdom and experience of older adults
- To operate a comfortable multi-purpose Center for older residents
- To provide information regarding programs, services and opportunities designed to meet the diverse needs of older adults, and to provide referrals for specific help as needed
- To offer and support educational opportunities, workshops, and a range of intergenerational activities designed to meet the social, cultural, recreational, and informational needs of older adults
- To support wellness programs, such as exercise classes, clinics, lectures, workshops and support groups tailored to address the health needs of older citizens
- To provide opportunities for volunteer service both within the Senior Center and at other community agencies, thereby utilizing the talents, experience and energy of older residents
- To operate an outreach program to identify and assist older citizens and their concerned families and friends in need of services and information
- To serve as an advocate for issues of concern to older adults
- To offer and support programs designed to meet the transportation needs of older residents
The Needham Council on Aging is a department within the Diversified Community Social Services (DCSS) along with the Youth Commission and Veterans Services.