Requirements for new construction are listed below:
Applying for a building permit for new residential construction.
1. If razing an existing structure follow the demo process.
2. If applying while the existing structure is still standing complete the Existing Structure Affidavit.
3. Follow the demolition of structure process for the razing of a structure.
4. Other Town Departments to consider:
Working within or near wetlands, a floodplain, or any river or stream
Building Permit Application
6. Verify that your contractor is registered as an home improvement
7. Building Permit Application (Fillable PDF) - The Building permit application must be signed by the homeowner or submit a signed contract by both parties in compliance with MGL 142 A (HIC program). Complete all sections that apply to your project. We strongly suggest using our fillable document located throughout our site for clarity.
8. Workers' Compensation Insurance affidavit (Fillable PDF) - this must be completed by the contractor or the homeowner, whoever is doing the work.
9. Homeowner Warning Form - Shall be carefully read and signed by the homeowner if the homeowner is obtaining the Building Permit. If the homeowner obtains the Building Permit, access is denied to the arbitration program and guaranty fund both of which provide recourse for a homeowner when a contractor does not complete agreed upon work. See MGL c.142A section 1.
10. Plot Plan - The boundary line plot plan must be prepared and certified by a Massachusetts Registered Land Surveyor. Requirements on the plot plan are topography, lot lines, set backs, proposed addition and decks or porches, accessory structures, lot size, lot coverage, zoning district and completed on the Town of Needham Form. An As-Built plan will be required before framing can commence. (Available plot plan information used as a reference can be obtained in the Engineering Department). At application provide five (5) original copies of the plot plan.
11. Proof of ownership (quick claim deed).
12. Provide two sets of construction drawings. If there is any engineered material in the design or unique design a stamp from a registered design professional is required. Plans shall be scaled and dimensions need to be provided.
13. If there is a factory built fire place provide two sets of the owners manual and the MA approval number.
14. Energy Conservation Form
Energy Compliance can be met three different ways:
1. Prescriptive, all mandatory sections in the IECC
2. Res-Check located at enegycodes.gov.
3. HERS Rating
1. Excavation inspection
2. Bonding inspection if steel is in footing and or foundation (wiring inspector).
3. Footing inspection if steel is in footing.
4. Foundation inspection once damp proofing/water proofing is installed.
5. Foundation As- built submitted before framing can start.
6. Rough plumbing/gas inspection.
7. Rough electrical inspection.
8. Rough sheet metal inspection.
9.Rough building inspection.
10. Insulation inspection.
11. Final plumbing/gas inspection.
12.Final electrical inspection.
13.Final sheet metal inspection.
14.Final building inspection.
Before scheduling Final Building Inspection
1. Submit Grades Card Circulation Form.
2. Submit three (3) copies of the final As-Built accompanied by three (3) Height Record and three (3) Survey Record.