July 23, 2019
Needham Town Hall
Note: Agenda subject to revision, start times are approximate and
agenda items may be discussed at earlier or later times.
6:45 Informal Meeting with Citizens
One or more members of the Select Board will be available between 6:45 and 7:00 p.m. for informal discussion with citizens. While not required, citizens are encouraged to call the Select Board’s Office at (781) 455-7500 extension 204 in advance to arrange for an appointment. This enables the Board to better assure opportunities for participation and respond to citizen concerns.
1. 7:00 Purple Heart Proclamation
2. 7:00 Certificates of Appreciation: Rose Doherty, Lois Bacon (retirees of Library Trustees)
3. 7:00 Public Hearings: Eversource Grant of Locations- Winding River Road, Country Way, and May Street
• Maureen Carroll, Eversource Energy
4. 7:00 Public Hearing- New Alcoholic License for Pancho's Taqueria Needham, LLC d/b/a Pancho’s Taqueria, 1450 Highland Avenue
• Carlos Chavira, Proposed Manager
5. 7:25 Director of DPW
• Sign Notice of Traffic Regulation - Glen Gary Road
• Sign Notice of Traffic Regulation – Glover Road & Louart Drive
6. 7:30 Continuation of Verizon Small Cell Hearing from 6/25/2019
• Victor Manougian, McLane Middleton
7. 8:30 Town Manager
• Special Town Meeting Update
• Town Manager’s Report
8. 8:45 Board Discussion
• Committee Reports
See attached list.
CONSENT AGENDA *=Backup attached
1. Accept the following gifts received by the Needham Public Library for the period of March 1, 2019 to June 30, 2019: Kay Rugan Paltsios made a donation in memory of William Powers ($25.00); Nancy Johnson made a donation in memory of Debra Olshever’s mother ($25.00); The following people made donations in memory of Sylvia Clark: Susan Harris ($50.00), and Diane McGuire ($25.00); Vanessa and Eric Rufa gave the library the following: A four-foot tall toy giraffe ($83.00), Busy Town Floor Block ($30.00), and Supersized picture book—Big Red Barn ($25.00); Kate Hanaway donated the following puzzles: Hot Air Adventure ($16.00), Roseate Spoonbill ($20.00), Downton Abbey ($20.00), Snow Day ($18.00), Cupcakes for Two ($15.00), Tiffany ($54.00), and
Shark Teeth & Shells ($22.00); Corinne Heald gave the library a copy of Needham Author Judi Getch Brodman’s book, She’s Not You ($14.99); Natalie Demerjian donated the puzzle, Disney—Thomas Kinkade ($18.00); The Needham Latinas Group donated 10 books in the Spanish Language ($50.00); Jay Donahue donated a large bag of plastic, candy-filled Easter eggs to the Children’s Room. They were from his rain-canceled Easter Egg Hunt ($20.00); Thomas Neeley gave the library a copy of Arthur Hittner’s book, Artist, Soldier, Love, Muse ($17.00); Wellesely Books sent the library a check for $10.50, 10% of amount for books sold at Young Adult Author Panel; William F. Gallagher, M.D. gave the library a check for $100.00 in appreciation of services rendered; Ann MacFate made a $250.00 donation for the purchase of large print books in memory of Irene MacFate; Ford Peckham donated a copy of Huê 1968 by Mark Bowden in memory of Major R.N. Peckham, Jr., USAF (Ret.) ($30.00); Andy Gassman gave the library an American Flag; Matt Robinson donated the following two books: New England Invite: Fresh Feasts to Savor the Seasons by Kate Bowler ($29.95), and The Man Who Lit Lady Liberty by Richard Schwartz ($29.95); Amy Kahn donated a puzzle of Klimt’s The Kiss ($30.00); Donna Halper donated $100.00 for the purchase of Genealogy Books; Joan Dickinson donated copies of two of her books:The UnPuritans: The Hanscome Trilogoy, Book I ($14.99), and The Lost Mulattos: The Hanscome Trilogy, Book II ($14.99); and Wendy Bertrand gave the library a copy of her memoir: Enamored with Place: As Woman + As Architect ($35.00).
2. Accept the following donation made to the Needham Park and Recreation Commission for its Arts in the Parks Summer Concert Series and Children’s Theatre Performances: $600 from Wingate Residences.
3.* Approve a 20B Exemption for Catherine Murray who is an employee at the Broadmeadow Elementary School as a cafeteria worker to engage in summertime work with the Traveling Meals Program.
4.* Approve road race event form from Christopher George of the Sean Biggs Memorial Foundation, to hold its 5K race/ 1 mile run in Needham on November 17, 2019 from 6:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. In the event of inclement weather, event will be held on November 24, 2019. The race application has been approved by the following departments: DPW, Police, Fire, and Park and Recreation.
5. Accept a $1,000 donation made to the Needham Public Health Division’s Gift of Warmth Program from the Carter Memorial United Methodist Church.
6. Accept a donation of 8 cases of napkins, and 3 cases of straws made to the Needham Park and Recreation Commission from the Needham Exchange Club. Items will be used at Park and Recreation programs.
7. Accept a $20 donation made to Needham Youth & Family Services from the Yee family. They would like the monies to be used towards future programs in the Youth & Family Services Department.
8.* Approve a request for a One Day Special Wines & Malt Beverages license for Maxwell Sparr, of Trip Advisor to host a BBQ event for the Needham Chamber on Thursday, July 25, 2019 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. The event will be held at Trip Advisor, 400 First Avenue, Needham.
9. Approve a 2019 Common Victualler License for Chef Mike’s LLC d/b/a Chef Mike’s located at 73 Highland Avenue, Needham.
10. Approve and sign agreement between the Town of Needham and the Needham Independent Town Workers’ Association from July 1, 2018 – June 30, 2021.
11.* Approve Open Session minutes from June 25, 2019.
12.* Water and Sewer Abatement Order #1277.
13.* Approve a request from Allan Eyden, Road Coordinator for the Pan Mass Challenge, to have a portion of its ride to go through Needham. The event is scheduled for August 3, 2019 and August 4, 2019 starting at 7:00 a.m. The routes of the race have been approved by the following departments: DPW, Police, Fire, and Park and Recreation.
14.* Approve and sign alcohol compliance violation warning letters for: 3 Squares, Bertucci’s, Mandarin Cuisine and New Garden.
15.* Approve and sign one day alcohol service suspension due to alcohol compliance violations for: Needham Food & Beverage LLC d/b/a The Heights for Saturday, August 3, 2019 and Needham 365 Bev, LLC d/b/a Residence Inn for Friday, July 26, 2019.
16. Grant permission for the following residents to hold block parties:
Name Address Party Location PartyDate PartyRain Date PartyTime
Ratify-Deb Whitney 36 Hunting Rd Sachem Rd, east of Hunting Rd 7/13/19 N/A 11am-6pm
Jeanie Martin 139 Plymouth Rd Plymouth Rd ext. between Harris & the RR tracks 9/7/19 9/8/19 1pm-7pm
Katherine Calzada 9 Morton Street Morton St. between Webster and Highland 9/8/19 9/15/19 2pm-5pm
Caitlin Reisman 80 North Hill Ave. Howe Road 9/14/19 9/15/19 2pm-12am
Lisa Cherbuliez 17 Lindbergh Ave Lindbergh Ave between Paul Revere and Tower Ave 9/14/19 9/15/19 5pm-9pm
Mia Rizzo 64 Pinewood Rd Pinewood Road 9/21/19 9/22/19 3pm-9pm
Andrew Allen 955 Webster St. 900 block Webster St between Dedham Ave & Howland 9/21/19 9/28/19 12pm-3pm