SELECT BOARD Meeting Agenda
6:00 p.m. October 12, 2021
In Person and Via Zoom
This meeting is a hybrid meeting of in person and zoom. To listen and view this meeting on a phone, computer, laptop, or tablet, download the “Zoom Cloud Meeting” app in any app store or at www.zoom.us.
At the above date and time, click on “Join a Meeting” and enter the meeting or
click the link below to join the webinar:
Please click the link below to join the webinar:
Or One tap mobile: US: +16465588656,,89196712402#
Or Telephone: Dial US: +1 646 558 8656
Webinar ID: 891 9671 2402
1. 6:00 Approval of 2020 Census Redistricting for the Town of Needham
Theodora Eaton, Town Clerk
2. 6:15 Citizens’ Petition: Climate and Ecological Emergency
Rebecca Phillips (Zoom)
3. 6:30 Citizens’ Petition: Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs)
4. 6:45 Planning Board Discussion on Zoning Articles and Positions on Warrant Articles
Lee Newman, Director of Planning & Community Development (Zoom)
Paul Alpert, Chair and members of the Planning Board
5. 7:00 Response to Community Recommendations Update
John Schlittler, Chief of Police
Chris Baker, Deputy Chief of Police
6. 7:30 Outdoor Dining Policy & Alcohol License Fees
Katie King, Assistant Town Manager
Amy Haelsen, Economic Development Manager
7. 7:45 Town Manager
Transportation Planning and Review Committee
Public Participation in Meetings Policy
Special Municipal Employee Vote
Select Board Calendar
Position on Special Town Meeting Warrant Articles
Town Manager Report
8. 8:15 Board Discussion
1.* Approve minutes of September 28, 2021 (Open session)
2.* Approve a request from Sabiha Shah with the Indian Community of Needham (ICON) to hold an ICON Diwali Car Parade in Needham. The event is scheduled for Sunday, November 7, 2021 with a rain date of Sunday, November 14, 2021. The event has been approved by the following departments: DPW, Police, Fire and Park and Recreation.
3. Accept the following donations received by the Needham Public Library for the Period of July 1, 2021 – September 30, 2021. An anonymous person gave the library a $5.00 gift. It will be used for book purchasing; Faith Fuller Wilcox gave the library a copy of her book, Hope is a Bright Star: A Mother’s Memoir of Love, Loss, and Learning to Live Again ($16.95); Linda Asher donated fifty new condition children’s books ($300.00); The following people have made donations totaling $200.00 in memory of Kevin Doherty: Lois and Bill Bacon, Ann MacFate, Kathryn Euart; The AAPI Alliance-Needham and Surrounding Areas gave the library twelve racially diverse children’s books ($180.00); Lisa Downey gave the library a copy of her new book, The Introverted Artist: Defending My Art, My Way, Myself. ($15.95); Tara Jordan donated 265 children’s books ($4,250); Linda Asher donated 50 children’s books ($850); Willard and Darragh Foster gave the Children’s Room boxes of toy trains and tracks for the train table ($1,000); Paula Pitman Brown gave the library $287.50, 10% of the price for selling two paintings that were displayed in the Friends’ Gallery; Narinder Mehta donated a copy of his new book, Jobs and COVID-19: The Pathway to a Happy Career ($14.95); The following people have donated $150 in memory of former trustee Sally Powers: Lois and Bill Bacon, Lois Sockol, Ann MacFate.
4. Accept a $100 donation made to the Needham Health Division’s Traveling Meals Program from Jerald Owen.
5 Accept the following donations made to the Needham Youth & Family Services Department for future programming needs; $35 Velde Family, $45 Sanom Family, $50 Braude-Most Family.
6. Grant permission for the following residents to hold block parties:
Name Address Party Location
Kilpatrick Carroll 101 Fair Oaks Park Fair Oaks Park b/t May and GPA 10/16/21 10/23/21 3:30pm-7pm
Mia Rizzo 64 Pinewood Road Pinewood Road 10/30/21 N/A 4pm-10pm