Commercial and Industrial Properties
In Needham, an estimated 27% of our greenhouse gas emissions come from commercial buildings. Check out the following suggestions for cutting back on emissions to make a more sustainable Needham.
Efficiency Programs and Incentives
There are many opportunities through Mass Save to help improve the efficiency of commercial and industrial buildings.
- Start with a Building Energy Assessment to identify opportunities to increase energy efficiency.
- Take advantage of rebates and incentives for businesses for building insulation, weatherization, heating and cooling, lighting and controls, specialty equipment, water heating, and more.
- Take advantage of additional Mass Save programs and technical support to help your business save energy.
Commercial Buildings Energy Efficiency Tax Deduction
The 179D commercial buildings energy efficiency tax deduction enables building owners to claim a tax deduction for installing qualifying systems in buildings. Tenants may be eligible if they make construction expenditures. A tax deduction (up to $1.88 per square foot) is available to owners of new or existing buildings who install (1) interior lighting; (2) a building envelope; or (3) heating, cooling, ventilation, or hot water systems that reduce the energy and power cost of the interior lighting, HVAC, and service hot water systems by 50% or more. Refer to the Summary of 179D Tax Deductions for more information.
Inflation Reduction Act
Your business or organization may be eligible for additional incentives for energy efficiency and clean energy upgrades passed by the Inflation Reduction Act. View available incentives.
Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Stations for Your Business
Businesses and other commercial entities that choose to install on-site EV charging stations can benefit by:
- Attracting new sales from EV drivers who spend money at a business while they charge
- Becoming a preferred vendor for potential customers that support the shift to driving electric
- Reducing fuel and vehicle maintenance costs for your company’s fleet and for employees who drive EVs
To effectively invest in EV charging for your business, it’s important to:
- Choose the right hardware, software, and support plans to meet your needs and budget
- Adopt site best practices, charging policies, and pricing to optimize utilization and reduce costs
- Apply for available charging station incentives in order to lower your project cost, including: