What We Take
Needham residents who have a current resident sticker can bring the following items to the RTS for recycling or safe disposal. Some items are accepted at no additional cost, others have fees.
View a MAP of the RTS click here.
Main Drop-Off Area
- Newspapers and inserts
- Magazines and catalogs
- Paperboard Boxes - cereal, pasta, toiletries, office supplies (plastic windows are okay)
- Shredded paper
- Brochures and fliers (including glossy paper)
- File folders and manila envelopes
- Telephone books
- Soft cover books (hard covers go in trash)
- Spiral notebooks (remove cover if not cardboard)
- Wrapping paper (no metallic, foils or plastic. No ribbons or bows)
- Paper bags
- Junk mail and envelopes of all types (windows and labels are okay)
- Colored paper
It's okay to recycle paper with:
- Paper clips
- Staples and clasps
- Plastic windows
- Self-stick labels and tape
- Metal spirals
Please don't recycle:
- Candy wrappers
- Mailing envelopes with bubble wrap
- Tyvek mailing envelopes
- Paper towels, napkins, tissues
- Paper cups or plates
- Self-stick label backing
- Soiled paper
Corrugated Cardboard Boxes
- Packaging tape is okay
- Must be flattened
- Do not recycle waxed cardboard
Glass, Metal & Plastic Household Product Containers
- All plastic bottles and jars (milk, water, juice, salad dressing, laundry detergent, shampoo, dish soap, etc.).
- Plastics #1 to #7.
- Leave caps on.
- Plastic food tubs and lids (cottage cheese, margarine, yogurt, etc.)
- Plastic flower pots that have been cleaned out (flimsy plastic pots should be disposed of as trash)
- Glass bottles / jars (any color)
- Clean metal cans and lids (tin / steel / aluminum, empty aerosol)
- Aluminum (pie plates / trays / foil)
It's OK to:
- Leave lids, rings and labels on
Please don't recycle:
- Styrofoam (no cups, trays, or block)
- Plastic bags (take back to the grocery store)
- Milk and juice cartons; juice boxes; aseptic cartons
- Ceramics, porcelain, china, or opaque glass
- Window glass
- Drinking glasses, bowls, mugs, pots and pans
- Light bulbs
- VCR tapes--these should go in with trash
Large yellow bag $2.00
Small yellow bag $1.75
- Residents must place non-recyclable trash in yellow pay-as-you-throw trash bags. View information on where to purchase bags.
- Find a list of recyclable materials that are banned from disposal as trash in Massachusetts.
- Non-recyclable / reusable items too big to fit in a yellow bag and large quantities can be disposed of as bulky waste or clean-outs.
Payment is by check or credit card only. Please have your RTS sticker # ready.
Price varies by item
Oversized non-metal items such as:
- Broken furniture
- Shelving unit
- Metal items must be disposed
of in the scrap metal at no cost.
$140 per ton
Minimum scale fee $25
- Large quantities and clean-outs
Re-Use-It Swap Shop click for details
Tuesday thourgh Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., Saturday until 4 p.m. No drop-off after 3 p.m.
Closed on Paint Saturdays (third Saturday of the month, April to October)
Reusable Household Items
Items you no longer want or need but someone else could use.
- View more detailed information and guidelines about acceptable items
- All items must be clean and in good working condition.
- Please bring items as early in the day as possible. Space is limited and many items that have not been claimed by the end of the day are disposed of
- The Re-use-it Swap Shop is staffed by Needham volunteers.
YARD WASTE PROCESSING AREA
Leaves, Grass Clippings & other rake-able items
- Please empty leaves and grass clippings out of paper or plastic bags.
- Empty paper bags may be composted with yard waste. Plastic bags must be disposed of as trash.
Brush, Branches & other woody materials
- Place in Brush and Branches area
- Also open Sundays in November from 10:30 to 4 p.m. for leaves only.
- View dates.
Compost for use
- 30 - Gallon Barrel - Free
- 1 Cubic Yard - $4.00
- Motor Oil
- Must not be mixed with gasoline or other liquids
- Books in readable condition
- Commercially produced CDs and videos
- No encyclopedias, magazines
Bottles & Cans with deposit
- Containers with a deposit only
- Carbonated beverages only (alcoholic and non-alcoholic)
- $.05 deposit will be refunded to Cans for Calcium food assistance charity through the Needham Community Council.
Clothing and other Textiles
- In any condition
- Clothing, bedding, towels, curtains, and textiles in any condition.
- Belts, shoes, handbags, etc. are okay.
- Rips, stains and tears are OK.
- Dirty and moldy items should be disposed of as trash.
- View information on acceptable items
Food Waste - New Program
- Food waste collected for anaerobic digestion
- View acceptable items
- Small household items in good working condition may be donated at the Swap Shop when they are open
On Paint collection days only
- On paint collection day only – third Saturday of the month April - October.
- Latex paint should be dried out and disposed of with regular household trash.
- Oil paint, stain, paint thinner, paint remover, mineral spirits
- View details.
- Stove, refrigerator, AC, dehumidifier, water heater, etc.
- Car, motorcycle, scooter, or other lead-acid battery
Specialty and rechargeable only
- Rechargeable batteries - Power tools, tooth brush, computer, cordless phone, etc.
- Button batteries - watch, hearing aid, etc.
- No Alkaline batteries accepted. Alkaline batteries are not hazardous and should be disposed of with regular trash.
- Please delete any personal information
- Do not need to have chargers and cords
No Charge for desktop or tower component
$15 for all-in-one computers such as the iMac
$15 for monitors
- Leave computers and all other components (monitor, keyboard, etc.) in the electronics / monitor area.
- Remove all sensitive data or destroy the hard drive first
- The town is not responsible for data left on computer
- $15 fee for monitors (flat screen monitors 15" or smaller--$5:00)
- Printers, fax machines, receivers, VCRs.
- Cables and cords.
- Speakers are mostly wood or plastic and should be disposed of with regular trash.
- There is a $15 fee for computer monitors (flat screen monitors 15" or smaller--$5:00) and TVs.
Fluorescent Tube Disposal
(all sizes and shapes)
$1.00 each (limit to 10 tubes per wee)
From residents only.
- Straight, round and U shaped fluorescent lamps, and all types of compact fluorescent (CFLs) lamps
- Fluorescent lamps contain a small amount of mercury and should not be disposed of with regular household trash.
- State regulations prohibit the disposal as trash of any device containing mercury
- Incandescent, LED and halogen bulbs should be disposed of with regular trash
- mattresses are $20 each
- State law bans the disposal of medical sharps in household trash.
- View information on how to properly store and prepare used sharps for safe disposal.
Mercury Containing Devices
- Thermometers, thermostats, mercury switches, elemental mercury, flowmeters and other mercury containing devices.
- Computer monitor (flat screen monitors 15" or smaller--$5:00), including flat screens and lap tops
Printer, fax and copier cartridges
- Any type of printer, fax, or copier cartridge
- 20 gallon and small camping propane tanks.
- Any metal item that is more than 75% metal
- Yard and garden equipment (gasoline and oil must be removed from lawn mowers, snow blowers, etc.)
- Electrical cords and cables (including xmas tree light strings)
- Metal desks, file cabinets, wire hangers, bikes, aluminum doors and window frames, other metal pieces
- TVs - Any Size
Automobile - $7.50
Truck - $15.00
- Automobile and truck tires
- Do not dispose of any unwanted medication in the toilet.
- Unwanted medications can safely be disposed of at the Needham Police Station
- For a safe, secure way to dispose of controlled substances and other medications, any medication can be taken to the Needham Police Department at any time, or during their annual drug take-back day held the last Saturday in September.
Household Hazardous Waste
- Needham sponsors one Household Hazardous Waste event each year in October that is open to all Needham residents at no charge.
- View details
Convenience Fee (illegal dumping)
Still not sure what to do?
Email: Submit Inquiry