Disputing Your Bill

If for any reason you believe your bill is wrong, you may file a dispute within 30 days of the billing date noted on the bill statement. Contact or apply for abatement (PDF) to the Department of Public Works (DPW) and explain the amount you believe to be in error and the reason you believe there has been an error. If you need any assistance in filing a dispute, please contact the DPW at 781-455-7550.

Please review the Water and Sewer Abatement Policy (PDF) for a list of what is permitted for abatement.